October 28, 2008

Change I Can Believe In


First, I need to apologize to my tens of readers for my laziness. I have neglected this blog, as I have my novel, my running, my guitar playing. I am a loser. Sadly, I have been okay with this period of relative inactivity. I accept it. A schlump is a schlump is a schlump.

But, never you fear: I have been doing SOMETHING. Yes...I have not been a total and complete bumb.

I have been reflecting back on my life with special emphasis on, but not limited to, my dating life.

Good times.

As you may know, I chased a few ghosts. What I learned is that, out there in this world, there are at least three men who, to this day, think I am the schnizit. Though they are married (TL), awaiting child (EJJ) or shacked up (WT) they compare their women to moi and moi wins.

Before you roll your eyes, please know that I too considered this 'game' but since none of these dudes lives anywhere near me and had nothing to gain for stuffing my ego, I am inclined to believe them.

Lest you think this post is a personal ass-kissing fest, let me be clear: though these dudes may think V.E.G aka ManEater aka CrazyMagnet is da bomb, she realizes that her shit is messy. Real messy.

Case in point: these dudes still got a jones for me. I have love for them but didn't love any of them. Not in that way (though some, I realize, came closer than others).

I have commitment issues. Real ones. I get bored with men, jobs, hell...even some friends...easily.

Not a good look.

Truth be told, the only things that I get continuous pleasure from day in and day out are my beloved shoes.

Well, the time has come to get to the bottom of this.

Yes, I've had some fun. And I have had some mind blowing sex. When I am old lady, I can reflect back and smile secretly to myself. The memories are worth their weight in gold.

But I am all about progress.

If I can't overcome this issue - this utter and complete inability to connect to something that will fuel me - then I ain't growin. And if I ain't growin, I might as well stop wasting air. Air should only be breathed by those who are truly passionate about their existence.

Don't get me wrong. There are things that excite me. I am gassed up about an AIDS project that I am working on. I dig my new gig. I have been doing a little writing. Hanging out with EJJ has inspired me, shamed me, really, to pick up the guitar again. Dying 15 miles into a marathon has convinced me that I need to get my arse in gear.

But I need that excitement to last beyond the idea phase and carry me through to completion. Sure, I've completed things I've started but the high I get is never enough.

V.E.G. doesn't want to spend her life chasing a buzz. Well, not a legal one anyway. Hehe.

I also realize that, sometimes, ok, all the time, I try to do TOO much. Learning to say no is a gift. Superwoman is a myth. And black superwomen die young. V.E.G. has too many boys to chase and too many shoes to buy to check out.

So, today, I start a new chapter in my life.

I am calling it the Resurgence Phase. It will have far reaching implications that affects both my personal and professional life.

Step 1: Text the two losers who, despite MONTHS with no reply keep calling and texting me, and ask them to stop contacting me. It is immature on my part to pretend like they don't exist. Yes, intelligent people would stop calling at some point. But it is clear that these two men are not intelligent. And I must treat them accordingly. This leads directly into...

Step 2: Stop messin' with unintelligent men. Pretty is as pretty does. I need more than that. Don't get me wrong: I looooves me a smart man. And the ones that have gone the farthest, i.e. my ghosts, have been pseudo-geniuses. But some of those who have filled the gaps have been oh so segzy but quite dense. I'm too bright for a dim bulb.

Step 3: No more stuff. V.E.G. likes to shop. Yes she does. I say this after engaging in a hefty spree that added 3 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 coats, a necklace, leather leggings and 2 dresses to my closet. And I like the good shit. High end but on sale (trust. Full price is not in my vocabulary). I can afford it. But I realize that I shop out of boredom and not need. I think that clearing my mind of the filler will help me open it up the greatness that I know the good Lord has in store for me. To that end, I have instituted a shopping moratorium. If it is not a necessity and it costs more than $40, I will NOT buy it. And I will not buy more than one unnecessary item per month for the next sixth months.

Step 4: Let fear go. Despite my reputation as a hard core street thug, I am often crippled by my fears. Time to leave that shit behind. Going forward, when I am afraid to do something and my flight or fight response kicks in, I will stand and, not only fight, I will KICK ASS.

So, there you have it. My fourth quarter resolutions. I'm sure I'll fall short on some of these but watch me as I try.

Cats are cool. V.E.G. wants to be cool, too.

4 Comments:

Luvvie said...

I think ur chasing of ghosts will be very productive. U ma'dear, r indeed growing.

P.S. Dang! I'm mad I owe you 2 pairs of shoes.

suga said...

I like your goals.
I too have commitment issues and get bored with men after awhile. I'm trying to stop it, but it's hard lol

Good luck on everything.

The Pretty Brown Girl said...

This is the first time I've come to your blog. I will return based solely on the Kitty content! I love the kittehs!

pgh_muse said...

Wow Vdot! How inspiring! Godspeed with your goals! Through reading your blogs and VSB I feel like i sorta know you all... and I assume ur prolly a pretty fly chick you should check out my store... this is NOT pimpage! I need some honest critique from my target market!! it's small but growing :) www.museacdonline.etsy.com

Post a Comment

Tell me...who's cooler, men or cats?